Saturday, August 18, 2007

Befallen Heroes

The Basilan War is certainly getting worse. More and more soldiers are dying. It’s appalling and I can very much relate this happening to the Iraq War. It’s always Muslim rebels against Christian government. I could only hope and pray it will end very soon.

I know I may be late already but still, I’d like to dedicate this post to the 14 Marines who died on July 10 and the 27 Marines who died on August 7-9.

Here’s 2nd Lt. Camelon’s words at his friendster blog or so I read at the newspaper. (He was one of the 16 marines who died last August 7)

“I stand a proud guardian of my country and the people. I am awestruck and dumbfounded by the magnanimous duty that the people have bestowed upon me, the duty that binds me to be the protector of the free, the duty that drives me to endure days without food, traverse the inhospitable terrain, through typhoons and searing rays of the sun.

… The duty that dislocates my normal life, separates me from my family, [that makes me] live with humble means and simple ways and be the epitome of the ideals of katapangan, integridad, at katapatan [bravery, integrity, and honesty].”


Well I could only say this: Thanks for lending us your bravery and for giving up your life. You never really left us. Instead you gave us even more. That unwavering determination to fight whenever the duty calls for and this against all odds!

Eternal rest grant unto the Marines’ souls, O Lord. And let Thy perpetual help shine upon them. Amen

And May the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen

No comments: